Thursday, March 30

'Tis Sealed

I just made my first payment to STA Travel for the Turkey art course... I cannot back out of this. I am getting... excited. I think I will become more nervous but overall I think I will be fine. I don't think the reality of going to Turkey has kicked in...
My mother did ask me whether it is safe to go to Turkey with the war in Iraq. She was very concerned about me being taking away as a hostage since I am an American. Istanbul is on the OTHER side of Turkey which borders with Iraq-- so I assured her worries by showing her the map. I told her that if the people from Iraq are looking for an American hostage, I think they will find somebody already before they travel all way to Istanbul to get ME. ;-)


Still battling for an interpreter to come with me to Turkey. Will meet with the big cheeses next week to talk with them directly and to see if they come up with excuses or facts while I try to counter with my facts and provide them a compromise to settle. I am considering to offer an interpreter who will pay for her/his OWN flight, the trip package fees and all while the salary is being paid by SDSU (that way the university won't fuss about paying too much for an interpreter to have fun).
I am pretty SURE there is an interpreter out there somewhere in U.S.A that totally WANTS to go to Turkey and to have the opportunity to be paid as well-- I am not going to be entirely picky with the skills/level of the interpreter but I do have an expectation-- you will WORK for me, the STUDENT whose grade is dependent on this trip!
I don't view myself as a dicator but I still have an standard for the interpreter such as: interpret all without omitting some because they miss it or feel it is not important for me; be aggressive at asking for repeating the information if s/he misses it; No interpreter who passively passes on information and fumble to voice what I want to say; or an interpreter who refuses to sign "Damn" and "hell"...
Is that selfish for me to want all of above? NO. I don't mind an novice interpreter since I definitely will break you in... ;-) So if you think you have passed all critieras-- CONTACT ME AT KGRIGGL@GMAIL.COM !!!


On a side note-- I am really interested in becoming a CDI after a workshop here in San Diego about hearing-deaf relay interpreting team. CDI= Certificated Deaf Interpreter. "What can a Deaf interpret?!" Well, unforunately, not many hearing interpreters are very fluent in ASL and have a strong tendency to pass on information in English order-- it is not BAD-- I have seen some amazing interpreters who are *still* stuck in English order because that is how they heard the information... So the Deaf interpreter's task is to take the whole information passed on from the hearing interpreter AND rearrange it into an ASL verison for the Deaf client to understand better. It is hard to retranslate in your own mind when you, a Deaf client, are watching the hearing interpreter who did her/his BEST at conveying the infromation in ASL... and it will be even more difficult when you are under stress such as in hospital or court where you CANNOT focus on releasing energy to translate the hearing interpreters' signs to you... The Deaf interpreter is there as a medium to spare you energy and confusion by just retelling you in American Sign Language with no hearing accent. There, there, I am not here to bash the hearing interpreters. You have made strides but there are some cases where a CDI is necessary to make the information's transition much smoother. *Both* CDI and hearing interpreters need to WORK TOGETHER.

So much things have happened that I just... got overwhelmed. Baby shower to plan for, Turkey trip to be prepared for, battles to be fought, and the last but not the least-- MY CLASSES TO PASS!!
(sighing) Only five weeks... I will live, I will live... (*muttering*) 5 times two, uh, I got 10 classes for each course before the finals... total classes: 50 classes left to attend... Not bad.

No comments: