Wednesday, February 20

"CDI:explained" the Series :: Part One



"I want to become a CDI, therefore I am Deaf!"

Part one of the "CDI:explained" the Series.


****
Transcript made possible by me. Let me know if you see any major errors in this translation.
*****

A lot of you sent me inspiring messages about Deaf interpreting— but I noticed a pattern of one single error, more like a misunderstanding... so I want to make a vlog to clarify which means I will sign slow and add transcript or subtitled, it depends, to ensure that everybody will understand me. OK, so I am talking about "CDI" which stands for "Certified Deaf Interpreters"....... okay, I don't mean to belittle you but I want to explain what CDI, the term, means exactly.
"certified" means a person that has been certified due to passing an examination.
"Deaf"... (sort of obvious what it means)
"Interpreter" (a person who interpret)
So now I am focusing on two terms, "Deaf" and "Interpreter."
What does it mean, "Deaf Interpreter"? Well, an interpreter who is Deaf themselves.... Hearing-impaired, Hard-of-Hearing, whatever label you got for us...
so an Interpreter. Is. Deaf.
You see, "interpreter" is a noun, and if you put another word in front of it which is known as an adjective which refers to the noun. So, "Deaf" is the adjective in this case which refers to the noun, "interpreter"... So let's rew back to the term "CDI."
"CDI" is who? Deaf people who have became certified interpreters.
Does it mean "CDI" include Hearing people? NO. For hearing people, you use the terminology "CI" or "CT"- CI stands for "Certified Interpreter", no mentioning whether the person is hearing or deaf.... "CT" stands for Certified Transliterator which means word-for-word. Again, no mentioning of hearing or deaf. Yet CDI does state that it is for Deaf people—it already got that capital "D" in its name!
So, hearing people cannot apply to become CDI. The organization RID (Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf) will require proof if you want to apply as a CDI by showing your audiogram to justify your deafness. So RID already enforces the position of CDI to be for Deaf people only. Hearing people who want to become interpreters take up the CI/CT test which is now known as NIC "National Interpreter Certificate" which is new.
So again, I want to clear something up—
I am DEAF. I cannot hear nothing. I am Deaf, pathologically and culturally with a capital D.
And I want to become an interpreter.
An oxymoron? No. It is quite possible!
"Interpreters for the Deaf" is a line that is overused.... "Interpreter for the Deaf" again and again, even the RID included that line [aside: like hey?] so I understand how it is easy to get into that rut by automatically assuming that CDI means Certified Interpreter for the Deaf.
No...actually if you want to think about it, Certified Interpreter for Deaf should say "CID."
My situation, what I want to be, is CDI [Certified Deaf Interpreter]... so remember, Deaf interpreter, Deaf Interpreter, Deaf interpreter...
Thumbs Up?

No comments: