Thursday, May 1

My Typical Approach to Introducing Myself

My typical introduction in ASL would appear somewhat along this line:
My name (AT SPEED OF LIGHT): K----- (and A NANOSECOND OF PAUSE) G---G.
(huh?)
No, wrong spell... K-I-R-S-I. Yes, finish. not K-R-I-S-T-I. that name Finnish. Last name-- no no wrong spell... No "S" at end of G---G. Right Know, American Tend Spell G---GS but mine different. Know, Know Both names different. Me Odd...

:-) It is really MY fault for fingerspelling too fast. My former ASL students can testify to that... (sorry kiddos!). I am fully aware of my speed... and I cannot help it. Note to future friends: I do not mind repeat the fingerspelling for my name-- it is very unique and many people are not accustomed to spell that way so I prefer to have my name properly spelled instead of having you telling everybody about "how cool Kristy* is!". ;-)

More blogs about how to introduce yourself in ASL!!!
"Deafies, Let's Chat!" @ http://blog.deafread.com/oscar1997/2008/04/30/my-name/
Joey Baer's ASL vlog @ http://www.joeybaer.com/?p=139

****
I decided to do a brief video to show you what my introduction looks like when I meet people-- I usually get the same "huh?" look when it comes to my name-- both first and last names. .






* = Kristi, Kristy, Kirsti, Kim, Kris, Krisi, and many variations that people usually err with spelling out my name.

No comments: